Saturday, June 20, 2009

Tater Tot Frittata

I got a crazy random craving for tater tots one day.  You know, the kind that you use to eat as a little kid or got as part of a school lunch.  Don't ask me to explain it, just one of those pregnancy things, I guess.  Anyway, I ate a few, then felt bleh about the rest, so they have been sitting in a freezer for while, taking up valuable space. 

I decided I needed to do something about this, so I came up with a recipe to use up the tater tots.  I made a Tater Tot Frittata as a weekend brunch for me and husband.  It was pretty tasty, so thought I would share the recipe.  Of course, since I didn't measure out each ingredient, the recipe is really an approximation.  Plus, you can add a lot of your own ingredients to make it your own!

Tater Tot Frittata
2 cups of tater tots (Shredded potatoes would work, too, but soak the shredded potato in cold water to get rid of excess starch.)
1/2 medium onion, chopped
2 small cubanelle peppers, chopped (Again, just what I had on hand, you can use whatever veggies/fillings you might like. I imagine mushrooms, crumbled bacon and/or cheese would be delicious.)
4 eggs
1/3 cup sour cream  (I think this adds a lot to the recipe.)
1/3 cup milk
Vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
Serves about 4 people (We had leftovers.)

Grease the bottom of a 12" oven proof skillet with vegetable oil.  Evenly layer the tater tots (or shredded potatoes) in the skillet.  Mash the tater tots to create a potato like pancake on the bottom of the skillet. 
If you are just using shredded potatoes, no need to mash down.  Fry until golden and crispy (you might want to carefully flip the pancake to brown on both sides).  
In a separate small pan, saute the chopped onions and peppers (you can add a little butter to the veggies for more flavor, or just use the vegetable oil).  
Once the vegetables are softened, layer the sauted vegetables on the potatoes in the skillet. 

In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, sour cream and milk.  Add salt and pepper.  Carefully pour the egg mixture on top of the potatoes and vegetables.  
Place the skillet in a 375 degree pre-heated oven and bake for about 20-25 minutes until egg mixture are set (poke in the center with a toothpick, and see if it comes out clean, if you are concerned).  Slice, serve and eat!  
I cut up some basil into thin ribbons (chiffonade for those fancy cooking types) as a finish. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

giving this a try tonight; I like the idea of sour cream instead of cheese; I can make it with Sour Supreme (substitute) for my autistic son and he wont miss the cheese.