Friday, June 12, 2009

Funny Memory

A few days ago, I received a birthday gift in the mail from one of my best friends R, a vegan. She got me the knitting book, "No Sheep for You" (ok, I prompted this idea), which has tons of information about, and nice patterns for, non-animal fiber knitting. Remember, R is a vegan. Whenever I make her anything, I use non-animal fiber, preferably organic, yarn. I typically don't knit too much with non-animal fiber yarn because I find that it is hard on my hands and doesn't easily forgive any tension blunders, but for her, I will do it!

She ordered this book for me a while ago, but for some reason it took forever to arrive. I emailed to let her know that I had finally received it, and she promptly replied, "That is great news because delivering packages to you (especially birthdays) seems to be cursed, starting with that mail bomb back in '95 or whenever that was."

I had totally forgotten about that mail bomb incident. Years ago, R had tried to send me a package for my birthday. She diligently put the gifts (two t-shirts) in a padded envelope and dropped it into the corner mailbox in her sleepy hometown. Weeks later, I still hadn't received this supposed birthday surprise and I doubted very much that she had gotten me anything at all. Then, all of a sudden a package showed up. Inside the envelope was another very battered looking envelope that smelled smoky, and a letter. The letter from the US Postal Service explained that my poor package had fallen victim to a mail bomb that some "vandal" (their word, not mine) dropped into the very mailbox that R tried to use. The mailbox was damaged, along with all the mail inside. So random! R sent me the letter as proof that you just can't make this stuff up. I had to wash the t-shirts a couple of times to get out the smoky smell, but I wore those things for years. I know somewhere in all the clutter, I still have that letter. I should try to find it.

No comments: