Saturday, June 13, 2009

Bainbridge Island and Churchmouse

On the first day of our Seattle weekend getaway, my friend S (our gracious hostess for the weekend), husband and I took a ferry over to Bainbridge Island to visit Churchmouse Yarns & Teas and do some sightseeing.

Just look at this view as we pull away from the pier!
I LOVED Churchmouse. Look at the inviting exterior!

If I owned a yarn shop, Churchmouse would be my prototype. The decor is absolutely charming - it is clean, bright and well-organized. If you look closely, you can spot S in one of the below pictures - isn't she adorable? She is probably having a small heart attack at some yarn prices.

Buttons!

Tea!

The staff was friendly, and if you buy yarn, there are free shop patterns available. I bought some Koigu KPPPM (I just love this stuff) for a ruffle scarf, and some Jo Sharp Summer SoHo cotton for a scarf for my friend. My friend also picked up a lovely skein of Misti International Alpaca in a variegated bright kelly green so that she could learn to knit! I got her a pair of Clover circulars to spreading the knitting love...but more on this later.

On Bainbridge, we also visited Blackbird Bakery, which is right around the corner from Churchmouse.

S and I shared a ridulous pastry that had hardened caramel around the bottom. Um, no picture of this because it was gone too quickly. Husband had a cookie which he bought solely because of the decoration on it.

"Help me, I am missing an eye!"

After our treats, we wandered over to a local artist bazaar. S and I each purchased a pair of earrings from Woven Chains Jewelry. We bought the same pair (large love knots) - whatver, we both know what is good. Husband found someone selling reusable cloth maxi pads. Sorry, not me for, thanks.

Then we wandered down to the water's edge and sat outside for a while.

Hello, random ferret. What are you doing here by the water's edge?

Then, we went back to the docks to get on the ferry back to Seattle.

No comments: