Thursday, September 4, 2008

WTF

Things have been a little slow at work lately, seems like the downturn in the economy is really affecting us all. In any case, I am trying not to stress out about the lack of work, and instead enjoy the lull by leaving the office a little early, etc. etc.

Yesterday was particularly dull and I thought that I would leave around 5ish or so. Until, someone walks into my office about a project at 4PM, which really was follow up on some previous work I had done for them. Incidentally, it seems that the earlier project was sent into a black hole because I didn't hear anything about it after I turned it in. Ok, nothing unusual about getting projects towards the end of the day - that's all in the life of a corporate peon, but THEN, they state "Well, I don't have time to go into the details now, so what time were you thinking about leaving tonight?" I figure 5PM isn't a great answer around here, so I stretch and say I would stick around until at least 6PM or so. This obviously wasn't a very acceptable answer given the squinched-up facial expression I got in return. In an exasperated tone, they said "Well, I will TRY to get to you before 6PM then..."

So I sit in my office, really just doing some meaningless stuff, waiting around for this person to return. 6PM rolls around, not a peep. Then I hear this person with their loud voice on the phone talking about said project to the client. As though they had done the original work, and as though I hadn't just been waiting around for their butt to come talk to me about it. After the call ended around 6:30 or so, I figured, surely this person will now come talk to me about the project. Nope. So at 7PM, I gave up, and perhaps incorrectly (but I was angry) left without telling that person I was leaving.

As an aside, this person has done similar things to me in the past, so I don't know why I get so upset. I should just think it par for the course. My favorite was when they told me to wait around for them at the end of the day, and after waiting for literally 2 hours until about 8:30PM or so, I went to peek in their office and they had LEFT, people! As in office was dark and no one there. WTF.

No comments: