Saturday, September 13, 2008

Guitar Heroes?

After countless hours wasted playing Guitar Heroes on Playstation, my husband and I decided that it was time to get off our asses and learn to play the real thing. I am, however, reminded of that certain South Park episode where the kids sit around playing Guitar Heroes and when Stan's father tries to teach them real guitar, the kids say "Real guitar is for old people."

It has been about 2 1/2 months since we made that decision, and we are by no means any good (could it be that you actually have to practice to become better?), but we thoroughly enjoy our lessons and learning together. We feel like rock stars, no matter how unwarranted that feeling may be. Today, my guitar teacher exclaimed that he wanted to take a picture of my hand playing the F bar chord as evidence of my progress, since I had stated during one lesson that I would never, ever, ever get my hand to play a bar chord. Today, we also learned how to play the song Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, Part 1 by The Flaming Lips, just because I happen to love that song and there aren't too many chords involved, at least on the guitar tab that we dug up on the internet... Here's pictures of my guitar, a Fender Stratocaster, which my guitar teacher has nicknamed "The Counselor" (as if I were good enough to name my guitar, haha).



But, alas, after lessons, I sludged my way back to the office to do corporate peon work on a Saturday afternoon, wasting this pretty day indoors. Ah well, I suppose my corporate peon work will fund my rock star life once that starts going!

No comments: