Sunday, September 28, 2008

San Francisco, where is the food of my peeps??

My friends, hubbie and I went to Doobu this weekend. It was one of my friend's first time going to a Korean restaurant. I think it can be overwhelming for someone who hasn't experienced it before. All these little side dishes come out - which, by the way should ALWAYS be free, and if they aren't, I say RUN out that "Korean" restaurant. Usually there are other sorts of things that come out for free, too, broth with some rice dishes, fish, noodles etc. but I noticed that SF restaurants don't always do that, which scandalized my Korean mom when she last came to visit. The flavorings in Korean food can be quite foreign, too, and spicy! But, I love it, grew up on it, and miss it terribly if I go without it for too long. I miss my mom's cooking!

I don't understand, but in a city that is famed for its gastronomical delights, it seems to me that San Francisco sadly lacks really good Korean restaurants. It makes me miss home and the Tri-State area (NY, NJ, CT) where you can get excellent Korean food at a cheaper price than the decent food out here for high prices. If we go out for Korean, we usually hit up these three:
My Tofu House - 4627 Geary Blvd. This place is really good and specializes in a spicy soft tofu stew, probably my favorite in SF, but long lines. Website is in Korean, but you can at least see the prices and offerings. And it's got to be authentic if the website is in Korean!
Brother's Korean BBQ - 4128 Geary Blvd I can't remember if the English writing is visible or not, but it is on Geary and 5th. Don't go to Brothers II, which doesn't let you cook at your table. I think this place is probably a little overrated, but the best in SF for Korean BBQ.
Doobu - 1723 Buchanan My backup choice when I don't want to wait in lines. Pretty good, too. Try their haemulpajun (seafood pancake) which is huge and comes out on a heated iron plate.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, my absolute favorite Korean food was the 1st Annual Korean Food Night in the Parsons Annex our sophomore year of college and was cooked by your mom and imported from New Jersey to Western Mass. :) Do you remember that!?!? One of my favorite memories of college EVER.

But, I have been to Brothers and, yes, it was FANTASTIC. I can't wait for you to take me to taste the tofu soup. :)

The Littlest Monkey said...

I DO remember the First Annual Korean Food night - it is a miracle the food was imported safely (there was raw meat!) and none of died. That was fun!

Anonymous said...

We need to do a 2nd Annual Korean Food night. 10 years later. I guess that would make that much more than "annual" is there a word for decade like that? "Decadal"?

Sonya said...

Thank you, oh thank you for making a list. I love Korean food and was spoiled living in the East Bay. I desperately need to know where to get my Soon. Oh and HI! Found your blog!

The Littlest Monkey said...

Hi Knitsonya! I am glad you found my blog :) and glad that my list helps you. Someone recommended another place called Mugoboka (which looks insane in English, but translates basically to "Shall we try it/eat it?"), which was only so-so, but you might have better luck there than we did! We should go out for Korean sometime.

The Littlest Monkey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.