Sunday, September 14, 2008

A Moment for Knitting Geekiness

Today, I am so excited to report that I finally purchased The Knitter's Block by cocoknits at Article Pract in Oakland. Here's a picture of it - these interlocking foam pieces come packaged in a handy and cute little tote bag, together with a cloth to help absorb water and some stainless steel T-pins. Book does not come with kit! Just something else I picked up while at Article Pract.

I have never really blocked anything before, but now that I have a couple of baby sweaters under my belt, and a sweater for myself that I hope will be finished sometime this decade, I think this will be a good investment for my knitting future. I have a couple of scarves that could stand to use some light blocking, so will embark on my first blocking adventure with those. The wonderful staff at Article Pract told me to try steam blocking first, if I am wary of complete immersion in water. They told me to use the steam setting on my iron, and when I mentioned that I actually have a garment steamer because I tend to burn things with irons, their eyes widened and they both exclaimed "Oooo, a steamer!" Haha!

1 comment:

Andria said...

I'm so jealous! I've been wanting that for a while. I bought blocking wires & t-pins at Article Pract, but not the foam. I asked Aaron for it for my birthday, but that didn't happen. :)