Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Tummy Time

Little Emma is starting to enjoy her tummy time. She can lift and turn her head and smile already.

She also loves to sleep with one hand pressed up against her cheek, just like her mommy.


I have been putting my library card to good use these days.  I need something to occupy my time between 11 PM and 1 AM, the time of night when Emma is the fussiest.  She eats at 11 PM and then again at 1 AM and it just doesn't seem worth it to try to sleep for those two hours.  So, I have been reading a lot, mostly mysteries.  I gauge the success of a mystery novel by whether it can keep me from flipping to the end.  If the pace drags or the plot is just plain boring, then I flip to the end, find out the name of the killer and that's that.  I know, not the best way of reading a book, but just like life is too short for bad wine, life is also too short for bad books.  I like the mysteries by Elizabeth George, an American novelist who writes British mysteries.  She writes the Inspector Lynley mysteries which have been serialized on Masterpiece Mystery (one of my favorite television programs).  Her novels are not high literature, but they are engaging, move quickly, and are fun to read in the wee hours of the night when one might be trying to get a crying baby to go to sleep.

I also just checked out In the Kitchen by Monica Ali.  I heard a short segment about it on NPR, and it sounded interesting.  Ali also wrote Brick Lance, which was turned into a movie.  I am only about 1 chapter in, but so far so good.

1 comment:

Andria said...

Looking cute!

I have some mystery suggestions for you: The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire by Stieg Larsson; and The Likeness by Tana French.