Monday, July 20, 2009

Update on the Moderne Baby Blanket

Here is an updated picture showing the progress on the blanket,

I am going to run out of the red yarn before I finish the in-progress squares.  However, I don't really have a desire to order 1 ball of yarn from Knit Picks where the cost of shipping and handling on the order would be double the price of the 1 ball of yarn, so it will end up being whatever size the square ends up being once the yarn runs out. The in-progress squares of red and orange use the intarsia method of knitting.  This is the first time I have tried this method.  It isn't bad, but admittedly, two intarsia squares is a very light intro to the world of intarsia. Crossing over the two strands at color change portion does end up tangling up the two different strands of yarn.  I have to stop and untangle every few rows.  I have seen little doodads out there designed to keep the strands from getting wound up over each other, but since I don't plan on making a lot of intarsia sweaters/projects (sweaters with tigers or crazy clowns on them, anyone?), I won't be buying these knitting doodads.

I don't know about the color combination anymore.  Like I said, it looks a little bit seventies.  But, I do like that it isn't the traditional baby pastels.  The blanket is rather larger than I thought it would be, so this will be something that even I will be able to use as a lap blanket for myself.

1 comment:

Momily said...

I really like the color combo. It looks great!