Saturday, July 11, 2009

Hooded Baby Blanket and Monogamous Knitting

I finished the Hooded Baby Blanket and am really pleased with the results.  I was inspired to make a smaller sized blanket to wrap up baby during feedings when I saw my friend P's newborn, Ava, wrapped in a beautiful small crocheted afghan that her mother-in-law generously made for P.  The crocheted afghan is very pretty, with small squares of puffed flowers surrounded in white.  My blanket is not intricate, but it is very practical and easy to make.  And since I made it with inexpensive Cotton-Ease (machine washable!) from my stash, it cost me nothing (we'll just gloss over the "nothing" part, since I guess I did shell out money at some point long ago to buy the yarn).  Baby obviously isn't here yet, and I toyed with the idea of using Monkey as a model, but then I thought better of it when I realized she would probably squirm and just mess up my finished object.  So I used the baby's teddy bear for perspective on the size of the blanket.

I find it extremely hard to remain monogamous in my knitting.  I usually have 3-4 projects going at any time.  It seems that I cannot have one project at a time.  In fact, if I do try to limit myself to one project, chances are I end up hating that project and abandon and banish it to my knitting bins, never to show its face again.  I have a few of these abandoned projects, actually, and it is embarrassing to think about them.  Some of them were intended as gifts, and needless to say, those gifts never got gifted.  There is the Irish Hiking Scarf (for husband), the Poppy Beret (for sister-in-law), the Baby Hooded Tunic (which was intended for P's first born, and never got finished and now her boy is too big to fit into the thing, even if I did finish it) and others.  I suppose this is the knitter's curse, because I have read other knitters' blogs who have the same problem.  This is also probably how my stash of yarn has grown to what my husband thinks is an unreasonable amount, but to me, seems pretty reasonable when I see other knitters' stashes.  There is no way that I have as much as Jenny and Nicole from Stash and Burn (a very fun knitting podcast run by two lovely young knitters who live in San Francisco - as a total aside I ran into Nicole once at Imagiknit and she must have thought I had some serious problems because I acted all nervous and ridiculous when I gathered up the courage to speak to her).  But, Jenny and Nicole are also way more talented than I, and much more prolific.  I can't believe how fast Nicole churns out those sweaters, and they always look professionally made and beautiful!

No comments: