Thursday, July 30, 2009

Counting the Days at Home

Well, today is my third day at home on maternity leave.  It feels strange not having to go to work, and I can't remember the last time I had this type of freedom.  Even when I was in school, summers "off" were reserved for work. There are still some open matters for work that I have to take care off while I am at home waiting for the baby to arrive, but until the baby is actually born, having this stuff to do won't be so bad.

Yesterday, I went to tea at the Secret Garden with my friend P and her newborn little girl.   It was my first time at the Secret Garden and it was charming.  The Secret Garden is a small Victorian-style tea house in San Francisco's Inner Sunset neighborhood. It is much more casual than going to tea at the Ritz or the Rotunda, but it is sweet and lovely (and much less expensive!). 
High tea is something I don't really do. I am pretty much an on-the-go coffee drinker, but every once in a while, spending an hour or two at a formal tea with delicate china, little crustless sandwiches, and scones with Devonshire cream, feels indulgent and fun.
Wondering what I should be doing next.  I don't like feeling unproductive, but trying to wind down and relax before things get really crazy!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Oh, how fun!! :) It's so great that you have a few days to "relax" (although I'm sure the anticipation makes it difficult!). I have so many friends who either delivered while still working or gave birth at 6pm their last day of work before maternity leave started. :) I hope you continue to have more days of "freedom". But, I can't wait to get the mail about your little one soon!