Wednesday, October 7, 2009

An Experiment

My husband has gallstones.  It causes painful stomach problems.  Before he goes for the ultimate solution, which is surgery, we are trying changes to our diet, as suggested by his doctor.  We have been more and more conscious of what we are eating ever since I got pregnant, but now we are going to try a vegetarian diet for a while.  Now, this is huge.  My husband has previously threatened a coup in our marriage when I suggested going vegetarian.  But, on the way home from the wedding, we stopped and visited some friends in San Luis Obispo who are vegetarian.  The wife has always been vegetarian, but her formerly carnivorous husband recently turned to a vegetarian, organic diet.  He couldn't stop talking about the benefits and how good he feels.  I mean, he used to almost exclusively eat red meat, didn't even eat chicken!

This isn't to say that we won't cheat once in a while.  In fact, we probably will.  And we will still include dairy and fish in our new vegetarian diet, but let's see how this goes. 

Last night's menu:
Salad with romaine lettuce, candied almonds, dried cherries, pears and blue cheese















Ciambotta - an Italian vegetable stew


This meal, which really should have only taken about an hour or two to prepare took me all day since I had to prep the veggies, make the almonds and croutons all throughout the day between nap times!  It was worth the effort, and delicious!

1 comment:

Susan said...

Yay!! Little changes here and there...It's the way to go! I'm still not perfect, but I feel like every time I DO eat a veggie or vegan meal, I'm doing a little more for my body and a little more for the planet. P.S. more pictures of Emma, please!