Friday, December 4, 2009

I Spoke Too Soon

Sigh.  As the subject line reads, I was too quick to think that all would be fine and dandy upon return to work.  I had imagined a nice slow December, allowing me an easy transition from maternity leave to the office, but I was so wrong.  It has been crazy busy at work, and it feels like going from 0 to 60 without any warm up time.

In addition, when I dropped off Emma at daycare on Thursday, I think she finally realized what was happening.  She looked at me with a betrayed look, then started to cry.  It was like she was saying, "Mommy, the jig is up, and I know what is going on here. You stink."  Heartbreaking.  Two caregivers rushed out, told me to kiss her goodbye, and then swept her away, saying, "Don't cry, Mama**, she will be fine."  I am sure she will be, but nevertheless, it was very hard.

In any case, as promised, here are some pictures from Thanksgiving weekend and Emma's Red Egg and Ginger and 100 day party.  Emma's grandparents threw her the party.  Emma met a ton of new faces, and received lysee (money in little red envelopes) and cute gifts to celebrate her entrance into this world. 

There were red eggs and party favors for the guests - little cookies with her face on them (some people peeled off the edible paper with her face printed on it before eating the cookie so they wouldn't have to bite into her adorable little face), a mochi manju from a San Francisco Japanese bakery, and manju shaped like chicks handmade by my aunt, Emma's great aunt.








(Check out my mad photo collage skillz, yo!  Just kidding, it is all Picasa.  Thanks, people at Google. Now, if only I could figure out the damn spacing of picture on Blogger...)

Prior to the party, on Thanksgiving, she took a little plane ride.


















Then, after the party, she felt like cooking a little bit.


















Overall, my little girl had a busy and fun weekend, and her mommy and daddy ate a ton.  I have to admit publicly that we fell off the vegetarian wagon on Thanksgiving and at Emma's party.  It was just too difficult with already planned menus, and we might have starved. We were pretty careful (or tried to be, at least), and Lance did not suffer any deleterious effects.  We are, however, back on our veggie diet now, and it feels pretty good.

** I find is hilarious that everyone at daycare calls me "Mama" and my husband "Daddy."  I am not sure that they even really know our first names at all.  They know Emma's name, though, and are good with her, so that's the important part, I guess.

1 comment:

Susan said...

She's still so adorable. I love seeing all of her smiles. Sorry that work is so rough. I was going to shoot you a mail to see how it's going...I still will. :)