Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Strange things I have eaten, or Spam, Spam, Spam.

So, my crazy husband was devastated to learn that we will be out of town when the 7th Annual Spam Musubi Eating Contest is occurring in San Francisco. We learned that last year's winning contestant managed to eat only 5 musubis in 5 minutes, a record at which my husband only said "Gah, ridiculous!"

For those who may not know, Spam musubis are basically a slab of grilled Spam in teriyaki sauce laid on top of a bed of rice and wrapped in seaweed - essentially, Spam sushi. Here's a link to a picture of one: http://ukumillion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/spam-musubi-thumb.jpg
They are incredibly popular in Hawaii, which is like the Spam eating capital of the world.

I admit that I have eaten Spam in my lifetime, and even enjoyed it. It got me to thinking of some of the other strange things I have eaten. I am a big proponent of at least attempting to try something once before I shun it. Here's a small sampling of my "Strange Foods I Have Eaten" list: Monkfish liver (a Japanese delicacy), steak tartare (fancy way of saying raw beef), tongue, bone marrow, preserved duck egg (blech!), escargot, frog's legs, foie gras, jellyfish, pig's feet, tripe, and dried cuttlefish. Looking at this list, maybe this is why some people elect to become vegetarian! I do draw the line at things that are still alive when eaten. Once in Korea, I saw someone eat a live baby octopus. It was not a pretty sight. Then, on a travel show, I saw someone eat a really fat live caterpillar grub thing - not for me.