Sunday, August 24, 2008

Oh My Chihuly!




Yesterday, we went to the de Young Museum in Golden Gate Park to check out the Chihuly glass exhibit. It was amazing and beautiful. We kicked ourselves because we forgot our camera at home. I managed to take some shaky shots with my Blackberry, so am sharing what I have. I should really make it point to just carry around one of our small cameras in my bag at all times because it always seems we don't have a camera when we need one!

In the same day, I was surprised by the kindness of my fellow humans. My husband and I stopped at a small donut shop in the Inner Sunset to pick up some pastries for our friends who stayed with us this weekend. When we went in, there was an old blind man who definitely had seen better days and seemed like he wasn't quite all there. He was shouting out his orders and yelling other incomprehensible stuff. The lady behind the counter (the owner, I think) brought him his hot cocoa and donut and set the food up for him at his small table. Then, she went back, got out some money from the register and walked back to him, pressing the money into his hand. She told him to take the money back as a refund because someone had just come in and paid for his food. Of course, no one really had. It is clear from the shop that she is just barely scraping by herself, and to see this act of complete generosity made me smile. I know I am pretty cynical, but sometimes, people really do surprise me.

Today, my husband and I took another walk in Golden Gate Park because the day was gorgeous! We walked by some of our favorite places - the Dahlia Garden (which is in full bloom and really worth a look) and the Conservatory. Will post some pictures we took later (yes, this time we had the camera!).

No comments: