Monday, October 3, 2011

Recent FOs

When I started this blog, I posted stuff about my corporate peon role, books, knitting, cooking, travel, all sorts of things.  But over the last year and a half, this blog has evolved to become a forum about my family and children.  That's fine, I know the only people who really read this blog are our family and friends who are genuinely interested in our family life and long to see pictures of our oh-so-cute kids.  BUT, sometimes, looking at my older posts, I am nostalgic for those freer days when both husband and I had more time for our personal hobbies and pursuits.  

Because I don't really have that much time to knit anymore, I decided that instead of trying to start new ambitious projects that I know I will never be able to devote enough time to, I would pick up my old projects I started but never finished and actually finish them.  Doing this, I have been able to clear out a bunch of things from my knitting basket and have ended up with some pretty cute things.  Some things, like the Poppy Beret were started in 2008 and only had a few more rows to go before completion, but for some inexplicable reason, it languished in my basket for 2 years?! 

The 2 year Poppy Beret which was originally meant as a gift for my sister in law, but now has become mine.
Here's the Vine Lace Vest which I gave to my mom.  It's a horrible picture, but trust me the thing is pretty cute in person.  I admit I have borrowed it once or twice.
The Noro Entrelac Scarf.  Another well intentioned gift.  Even if posting a picture ends up ruining the surprise, I am posting it anyway because I think it is pretty and the knitting technique is neat.

 The Open Ribwork Socks for my mom.  I have only knit two pairs of socks in my life, and one of those pairs was the pair I knit in sock class while learning how to make socks.  People who don't knit will probably chuckle about handknit socks and wonder why anyone would bother in this day and age, but let me tell you this - the socks are measured to fit my mom's feet perfectly, the yarn is comfy and pretty and they are super warm.  My mother actually likes wearing them to bed to keep her feet warm at night.  Go figure!
I have other unfinshed sweaters and projects that will still take a while to finish.  Maybe some will be finished in another two years (yikes!). 

I did manage to knit three things for baby Ethan, mostly done very late at night/past midnight between feedings, diaper changes, etc.  I felt like I had to make some things for the little guy because his sister got so many handknit baby things, but he didn't yet have any. 

A plain ol' newborn knit cap which is already too small for my little guy.
The Garter Yoke Cardigan - probably will fit in another month or two.  Still need to find the right buttons for it.  Oh how I hate to sew buttons and seams...
The Sweet Norwegian Baby Cap.  This matches the cardigan.  It is a neat contruction, sort of like a bonnet because it covers his ears and the back of his head to the nape of his neck.  It's a little too big for him now, but he will grow into it.

1 comment:

Susan said...

That's so awesome that you've been able to pick up those old projects. They are so gorgeous. I am in awe of how much you've actually gotten done, especially with the addition of the unscheduled surgery!!!! XOXO