Thursday, April 8, 2010

Sometimes I Wonder

Sometimes I wonder if my workplace exists in some sort of alternate universe or strange bubble. Here's what happened this morning in the office kitchen:

Someone: There's no coffee! (Flashing look of genuine rage.)
Me: Well, it looks like Mr. X (our office services guy) started some new pots. (Looking over to the coffee machine where two new carafes of coffee are just waiting to have the lids popped back on. They are the kind that look like cylinders with a lever pump on top.)
Someone: Well, let me go call reception to get Mr. X to set this all up. (Mr. X floats between three office floors, so this would mean paging him, then waiting.)
Me: Uh, well, here. (Take the carafes, snap the lids into place, which is very easy, since the lids are hinged and attached to the actual carafe, and move the carafes less than 1/2 a foot to the pouring station.)

Really? Many people I work with seem to have a hyperactive sense of hierarchy and entitlement. The above scenario is just one of the ridiculous situations I come across daily. It happens all the time that someone cannot walk literally two feet to a garbage can to throw away dirty napkins or paper plates, and just leaves these things in random places for Mr. X or office services to pick up. Honestly, I wonder how these people handle things in their own homes.

No comments: