Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Christmas Knitting?

In my mind, I have a list of potential Christmas gifts that I would like to knit up. But, I am torn because I can't figure out if the persons to whom I want to give the gifts would appreciate the time and effort, or would just think "Ooookay, you were too cheap to buy me a gift?" and not understand the thought, and even expense, (let's face it, some yarns are pretty pricey!) put into the gift.

I would love to knit the Juliet Scarf by Louisa Harding for a friend at work. Whee! Look at me, I finished one measly lace project and now feel like I am good enough to give gifts of lace - will I be sorry? I am also thinking of doing a trade with one of my other friends, who turns out to be a crafty jewelry maker in her spare time. A scarf for a necklace. I already have a mental picture of the necklace I want in my mind - it involves gemstones and briolettes... I also toyed with the idea of making a pair of socks for someone. But, all that skinny ass yarn, and TWO finished objects to make ONE gift is daunting for me.

Am I being overly ambitious? Thinking too much about it? Maybe I should just give the gifts and if the people don't like them, to hell with them! It is the thought that counts, right?

1 comment:

Andria said...

I'm knitting four gifts this year. They're all for people who have either specifically requested it (such as Aaron's brother and his own fruit cap) or have previously admired my knitting. So I think they will all appreciate it. Go ahead and start! It's not even December yet!